CIA brainwashing victims seek Canada court action

Monsters and Critics

Americas Features
CIA brainwashing victims seek Canada court action
By James Stairs
Jan 19, 2007

Montreal – In a case that sounds like science fiction, a Montreal court is deciding whether a class action lawsuit can be brought against the Canadian government on behalf of more than 250 psychiatric patients who were unwittingly subjected to radical experiments in the 1950s.

The so-called MK-ULTRA tests were part of a secret mind-control programme funded by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Canadian government in the 1950s.

The Cold-War-era experiments, carried out by a Scottish doctor in Montreal, included forced isolation, induced-comas, electro-shock therapy and the use of hallucinogenic drugs, including LSD and paralysis-inducing narcotics.

Lawyers for Janine Huard, a 78-year-old great-grandmother, told a Montreal court last week that their client suffered for years as a result of Dr. Ewan Cameron’s experiments at the Allan Memorial Institute, a psychiatric hospital based at Montreal’s McGill University.

The experiments were part of a controversial secret CIA programme, aimed at uncovering techniques of mind control and led by Cameron, who died in 1967.

MK-ULTRA was launched by the CIA in 1953 and headed by the American chemist Sidney Gottleib. It reportedly funded projects both at home and abroad, including the Montreal study, and hoped to be able to find ways to extract information from prisoners and influence foreign leaders through brainwashing.

The project was brought under scrutiny in 1974 when newspaper reporters uncovered that MK-ULTRA had drugged unwitting subjects in the US with hallucinogens and secretly observed their actions. The project had been disbanded a year earlier and all record of its activities were destroyed.

Cameron’s research specifically revolved around ‘psychic driving’ – a potential cure, he believed, for depression and dementia that involved erasing patients memories and then building them back up again.

Huard said that she first came under the care of Cameron, a former president of the World Psychiatric Association, when she consulted him in 1951 regarding a case of postpartum depression after the birth of the second of her four children. She was in his care another two times up to 1962.

The court heard that Huard and hundreds of others were test subjects for Cameron’s ‘de-patterning’ experiments, which included the repeated playing of recorded messages while patients lay in a drug-induced semi-comatose state.

Huard said that she underwent electro-shock treatments and was administered dozens of unknown pills a day, keeping her semi- conscious.

‘She never knew that she was being subjected to these experiments or that she was being used by Dr. Cameron and his staff as a guinea pig,’ Alan Stein, Huard’s lawyer told the court.

The aftermath of the tests, she said, left her unable to function normally, afflicted by memory loss, depression and by migraine headaches.

‘I came out of there so sick that my mother had to live with me for ten years,’ she told reporters. ‘I couldn’t take care of my children any more.’

The CIA paid Huard and several others 67,000 US dollars each as part of a 1988 class action settlement.

In 1994, the Canadian government compensated 77 of the most severely incapacitated former patients 100,000 US dollars each for damage they suffered from the programme.

Huard and 252 others were denied compensation at the time, since the long-term affects of the testing were not deemed serious enough to warrant payment.

In 2004, a court overturned one of the decisions and awarded 100,000 Canadian dollars (85,259 US dollars) to Gail Kastner, a former patient who had undergone severe electro-shock therapy to treat her depression in 1953 at the hospital but whose claim had been previously deemed ineligible.

This decision, Huard’s lawyers argued, opens the door for the current class-action request.

Lawyers for the government did not dispute Huard’s claims but argued that the tests happened too long ago for her to make another attempt at compensation.

‘They demolished me,’ Huard told reporters as she entered the court. ‘They gave me terrible drugs, electroshocks, and made me stay in a bed with a mask over my face listening to recordings for hours a day. I was afraid.’

No timetable has been given regarding a decision from the court.

Comments (45)

JaneBauerAugust 21st, 2007 at 7:14 am

Nice to know another victims of CIA and the US agencies like DOD are bringing justice to the violation of ethics and humanity!
I am a refugee in Europe after I ran away from the United States. I am thinking to bring my case to action as I was sent to mental hospital on my way to classroom at San Jose State University. MKSEARCH might be going on at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View, CA. The hospital is close to Stanford Hospital. I met an anthropologist in El Camino Hospital, too.
Guess how many SJSU anthropology professors work for CIA! I am not exposing the names as it is a crime :) I did it to ask for “political asylum” though. It was an evidence I needed to share to get the asylumseeking process.

Terry Parker Jr../ RobertsonSeptember 10th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Another project which has been subjected to great
obstruction, damage control, and concealment, is the exploitation of children who suffer epilepsy, at the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children, for “psychosurgical” and “brain implant” experimentation, without informed consent, nor parental
knowledge. This information correlates with the CIA
MK-ULTRA project, of “psychosurgical” and “brain implant” research upon unwitting subjects. Those subjects being myself, and other children who suffer epilepsy. I remember wards 5-G and 6-G,full of children with various cranium incisions. More disturbing, these 43 unauthorized metallic implants in the cerebral cortex, are recognized as manchurian candidate developmental research. Such research, inwhich my mother and myself, had no choice, and is not conducive for treating epilepsy, according to
Operating Theatre Technique, by R. J. Brigden,(1969)
outlining neurosurgical standard for that year.
Would like to hear from those who have a negative result from Hoffman’s brain surgery for epilepsy.
Yours,
Terry Parker Jr. / aka Robertson

brian meldrumSeptember 19th, 2007 at 7:22 am

My mother was part of these experiments back in the late 50′s and early 60′s I believe my father had here committed for depresion there were 5 children and no money enough to drive anyone to depression. my father is in his nintys now and would probably not remember my mother is in her late eighties and on’t talk about it and refuses to do anything about it do we have any legal recoarse here for what the govrnments have done.

L JMarch 27th, 2008 at 4:21 pm

same happened my mother
where can I find what was done to her? Her discharge date = Jan 7th 1963 @ Verdun protestant Hospital
….and where do I find the answer to the ablove person that said….

My mother was part of these experiments back in the late 50’s and early 60’s I believe my father had here committed for depresion there were 5 children and no money enough to drive anyone to depression. my father is in his nintys now and would probably not remember my mother is in her late eighties and on’t talk about it and refuses to do anything about it do we have any legal recoarse here for what the govrnments have done.

carolineApril 20th, 2009 at 11:21 am

my mother was abused by the Ontario psychiatric system in the 1950’s. Is there someone out there who can help me sort this out? Please.

carolineApril 20th, 2009 at 11:23 am

My father was killed on the job in 1954 and my mother was put in Whitby Psychiatric hospital where she was given electric shock, aborted, and sterilized. She was 19 with 2 children under 3 and pregnant. I believed what they did to her was to prevent her from being a social burden.

Jan SamAugust 7th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

We need a class action in Canada right now to stop current violent abuses. The current situation is one of genocide of people that do not believe in so called neo conservative belief systems. Many people have been tortured and killed in CANADA. The sec system weaponry they use leaves only a medicated smell.

see Samdra Sandoski on the complaints board TB under subscriptions for articles

dean ottJune 17th, 2010 at 3:39 am

would like to know what his four sons are doing today -

dean ottJune 17th, 2010 at 3:40 am

would like to know what ewin’s four sons are doing today

Caroline SherwoodJune 17th, 2010 at 8:48 am

I tried to get my mother’s health records from the psychiatric hospital she was in but they won’t give them to me unless I sign a waiver saying I won’t come back on them if I find information I don’t like. Is there anyone who can help me legally?

koral greenOctober 17th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Shock treatments aimed at specific behavior goals and at preventing new long term memories were given at St.Albans Hospital in Radford, Virginia in the early sixties, maybe other times as well. These were given to older teens, young adults, causing lifelong problems. Now when the hospital is asked for records by those victims, it says they no longer have records going back that far. Can anyone comment/shed light on what they were doing then?

timJanuary 15th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I was given 20 shock treatments starting the week of my 14th birthday in 1973. i also was told the files have been discarded. If you had treatment at st.albans I would like to talk to you. facebook…friends of st. albans (st. albans )…you can reach me there. thanks

Caroline HolroyJanuary 15th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

We need help -is there anyone who can help us get a class action suit going? Because of what the system did to my mother there was more damage to me and my sister. We did not have our mother growing up and we victims and targets of perverted abusers.

JuliJanuary 15th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I don’t know Canadian law, but in the states, we have statute of limitations, which would prevent a lawsuit at this point. It’s so darned hard to sue with respect to government and psychiatry.

JuliJanuary 15th, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Tim, my personal Facebook is:

If anyone wants to friend me, just tell me who you are and that you came from the website. I’m trying to get an ect.org FB page going, but so far, I’ve just got it placemarked. You can go ahead and “like” it if you want to be there when I get it rolling:

JanJay Jam SamJanuary 17th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Interestingly enough when in Calgary at Calgary General some of the team form Montreal general were there and there were definite probles as are ongoing throughout so called Tilma. Also in Golden noted thata lawyer had named himself Ewen Cameron; seems to be a cia town as most of Canada these days though not a watcher….

Terry Parker Jr.January 17th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Update since Sept. 10,1997. For some time I have been concerned with a covert intrusion by Dr. Harold J. Hoffman, and et al, of the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children.
As a unwitting subject, I find myself, learning more every year. I find it intriquing, that I have suggeston from a UFO reseacher, that these 43 covert metallic implants in the cerebral cortex, originated from the 1947 Roswell UFO crash in New Mexico. Something else does not add up. Despite two HSC operative reports of a “left and right temporal lobectomy”, there is no evidence as such on my personal Cat scan X-rays from Toronto and
St. Mike Hospital. Rather, we have brain tissue, leading me to question covert brain tissue transplantation. This has me wondering. Just as we have a cover-up on JFK’s missing brain tissue after his assassination in 1963, we have a similar conspiracy of silence, in respect to Dr. Harold Joseph Hoffman’s covert experiments upon defenceless children. it should burn everyone’s ass that we have lobotomy imposed upon children who suffer epilepsy, when historical research of lobotomy upon psychiatric patients, demonstrate adverse effects of
“seizures and cerebral hemmorrahaging”. What parent would consent to such butchery, when the risks,outweigh any benefit, as to address epilepsy? Whats going on at Sick Kids, is no indifferent than the child abuse at Quebec’s Duplesiss Orphange, where during the 50′s, over 100,000 children were exploited for CIA covert MK-ULTRA LSD and lobotomy research. It’s troubling, while victims such as Orlikow, and Huard, have legal representation, and compensation. The children of MK-ULTRA are subject to neglect and discrimination by our legal society. Seems MK-ULTRA is alive and well, when exersizing fraud, upon those who suffer epilepsy, and no such thing as accountability.
Terry Parker Jr./Robertson

Jan Jan Jam SamJanuary 18th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Tim: U are obviously not from Edmonton proper where the Ministry of Info has all your files.

Terry Parker Jr.January 18th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I do question if the statue should run, when an experiment is imposed upon a unwitting subject. Also, there is no statue upon fraud, and concealment. Terry

koral greenJanuary 20th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Tim, you state that you were given 20 shock treatments and if I had treatment at St.Albans in radford, va, to contact you on Facebook at “FRIENDS of St.Albans”. I am sorry, but I don’t understand. Sounds like you are in favor of St.Albans.
koral green

timJanuary 20th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

yes I’m in favor of sving the old bldg.. My wife and I bought it and are going to restore it ( as a research and enlightenment center ). I hope you will look at the facebook site …friends of st. albans ( st.albans )….I had shock treatment here in 1973. I started them the week of my 14th birthday. Are you a past patient of st.albans? if so i would like to here from you.If yes..did you have shock treatment? hope to hear from you soon. tim

koral greenJanuary 21st, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Sorry if I am misjudging you, Tim. However, I can’t understand why someone would want to save a torture chamber they had been in, regardless of the goal.

koral

couponSeptember 30th, 2011 at 3:58 am

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

Jan jay jam SamSeptember 30th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

tim and all: i believe we need strict legislation for buildings using security system toys eg. torture toys and human trafficking toys. on the sunshine coast there are many buildings that harken back to pre ww2 and are used for eveil purposes to this day. this kind of thing is unacceptable.

also the discussons about that group of cia victimépatients shoudl be understood in the current context where victims cannot get any support at all in todays Canada. They are being illegally detained for political reasons and go missing etc. …there are unmarked graves across our history.

videobbOctober 26th, 2011 at 7:36 pm

megaupload

StoneApril 12th, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Boom shlaaakka boom boom, problem solved.

CarolineApril 12th, 2014 at 3:15 pm

My mother had her brain fried, her baby killed and she was sterilized at age 19 because my father was killed on the job. I can’t get her records unless I sign a waiver not to sue. She was wrecked 36 years ago. Because of this my sister and I grew up with out parents. What can I do?

SophieFebruary 14th, 2016 at 4:16 am

Terry Parker Jr. What happened to your site about the Sick Children’s Hospital and MKULTRA abuses? I will not post on any site where I am required to sign in with a code. I have been trying to reach you. Because of your posts, I have been able to figure out some of my life. Evidence strongly suggests that I was sold to MKULTRA by my biological mother and extended family. My father’s side is Uhrmaker –now changed to Winemaker, Warner (Dr. Ellen Warner, Sunnybrooke Hospital) and Kroft –Fred Kroft, a psychiatrist with U. of T. My mother’s side is Devor.

When I was two years old, my mother took me to a medical facility and a swastika was cut into the skin of my arm. At age five, I knew that it was the Nazi symbol and I was terrified that I would be tortured, as the holocaust victims had been. I contemplated suicide at the time.

I have been severely tortured my entire life. Much of it has been psychological torture. My civil rights have been severely violated. I was able to obtain two university degrees. However, slander is used to isolate me. Izzy Nelken is a Mossad agent, who likely defamed me, early in my career.

They control my communications. My email has been cut off. I cannot obtain a new one because it is hacked by military or police. My driver’s license has been revoked, through government, wrongfully.

Some people who may know secrets:

Prof Paulette Collet, a Toronto Sick Children’s psychiatrist named Wittenberg, the family of Uriel Wittenberg, Chris Malcolm, son of the prominent psychiatrist, Andrew Malcolm –and Chris’ sister, a psychiatrist at Sick Children’s –her birth name is Malcolm, Arland O’Hara, researcher, Nick Stahl and his brother, Richard, who is a researcher at Sick Childrens.

Virginia Dixon, also called Virginia Lawson may be related to General Lawson.

My extended family have high connections and wealth. Circumstantial evidence suggests that they are all in on this. My brothers died suspicious premature deaths.

Karen SpivakMay 21st, 2017 at 9:19 pm

You sound crazy and paranoid. I knew Izzy in college. He was a kind,nice man. Who cares if he worked for the Israeli government? Plenty of people work for USA government and we often call them military heros. Izzy could not brainwash a dog with a bone. As Black Sabbath,”paranoia will destroy ya.” Or was it Iron Maiden? The world has more important topics than you’re brain

M J PrinceSeptember 17th, 2017 at 2:25 pm

My mother (now deceased) also received shock treatments in the ’50′s and 60′s in Riverview mental hospital, BC, Canada. This greatly affected my sister and myself thru the impressionable years of our youth. I am a little come lately on this topic, but has anyone received compensation for these atrocities?

Robert TaylorOctober 16th, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I was victimized in 1959 at the Queen Mary’s Veterans Hospital in Montreal while a member of the Canadian Navy.My nightmare related to massive injections of Insulin that put me into Comas for hours on end..The cover-up referred to it as ” Insulin Therapy ” but the actual terminology was ” Insulin Schock Treatment..Trying to receive any sort of compensation from the Goverment is Red Tape Plus…

SophieNovember 21st, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I am almost ready to find a legal team to assist me. I may be able to find the right, high level lawyers, because there is a great deal of circumstantial evidence. It is possible that my extended family on both sides had involvement. Top level lawyers would likely find the case most worthwhile. My relatives on both sides of the family are numerous and very wealthy. Likely, if implicated, they would prefer to settle out of court, to avoid disgrace. My younger brother, Robert Cedric, who had completed a degree at U. of T. in the elite program Engineering Science, in aerospace option, had a highly sudden, highly premature and highly suspicious death, at age 37. My father had a highly suspicious, premature death, some six years later. One week after my father’s death, my older brother, Michael Cedric had a highly premature, highly suspicious death. My sister, Caroline Joyce had believed that our mother had involvement in these deaths.

I have made a recent discovery which is more shocking than all previous horrors.

SophieNovember 25th, 2017 at 11:31 am

I am almost ready to find a legal team to assist me. I may be able to find the right, high level lawyers, because there is a great deal of circumstantial evidence. It is possible that my extended family on both sides had involvement. Top level lawyers would likely find the case most worthwhile. My relatives on both sides of the family are numerous and very wealthy. Likely, if implicated, they would prefer to settle out of court, to avoid disgrace. My younger brother, Robert Darryl, who had completed a degree at U. of T. in the elite program Engineering Science, in aerospace option, had a highly sudden, highly premature and highly suspicious death, at age 37. My father had a highly suspicious, premature death, some six years later. One week after my father’s death, my older brother, Michael Cedric had a highly premature, highly suspicious death. My sister, Caroline Joyce had believed that our mother had involvement in these deaths.

Care BearDecember 7th, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Sophie, keep us updated!

DenmarkDecember 18th, 2017 at 3:39 pm

MJ. My mom was in Riverview hospital in the early 60s too and subjected to shock therapy and drug experiments. I am not sure where to look for her records since the hospital closed in 2012 and she really has no memory. My sisters and I have been deeply affected by this also.

Have you been able to find any records?

JOHN PAULFebruary 18th, 2018 at 5:55 am

STONE PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR COMMENT BOOM BOOM PROBLEM SOLVED? What problem are you referring to exactly. Why do you view people who complain about being tortured as problematic?? Would YOU like to be TORTURED WITH ELECTROMAGNETIC WEAPONS AGAINST YOUR WILL? WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE SUBJECT OF MIND CONTROL EXPERIMENTS? NO?? WHY NOT BUTT HOLE? I’M ANXIOUSLY WAITING YOUR REPLY SMART ASS!!!!

JulieMarch 13th, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Anyone who has been subjected to the brainwashing experiments in the 50′s and 60′s at either the Douglas Hospital or the Allan Memorial Hospital should please visit our site on Facebook.
There is a class action suit being formed. The name of the site is SAAGA. Please come and see us.

We are now getting several inquiries about the same treatment at the Vet’s Hospital in Montreal which we are researching right now. Any input would be greatly welcomed.

caroline holroydMarch 13th, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Even though my mother is dead can I be part of the class action

Julie GoldMarch 13th, 2018 at 7:40 pm

YES…come to our fb page SAAGA

Terry Parker JrMarch 13th, 2018 at 7:41 pm

As a unwitting subject of Neurosurgeon Harold J. Hoffman, have been quite perplexed with as to what took place, and now reconsider further information, which I failed to connect previously due to secrecy and concealment. My HSC medical records disclose a pathology report listing various unauthorized brain tissue resections, along with a separate sheet outlining a diagram of a “left temporal lobe” brain tissue, which is NOT mentioned on my pathology report, and being of foreign nature, not mine. Such tissue which appears to be utilized for a covert transplant, when my Cat scan X-rays reveal brain tissue in the resected areas, secured by 43 metallic implants. Here’s the kicker, the only person on the planet whose left temporal lobe brain tissue is unaccounted for, is Mr. JFK. This adds up, considering all the secrecy of JFK’s missing brain tissue, and Dr. Hoffman’s covert brain surgical experiments at the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. I’m always reminded, that the very word secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society, and that we cannot afford to be complacent, while any individual’s rights are denied or abused.

Julie Tanny GoldMarch 19th, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Anyone who has loved one who have been subjected to the brainwashing experiments in the 50′s and 60′s at either the Douglas Hospital or the Allan Memorial Hospital should please visit our site on Facebook.

caroline holroydMarch 19th, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Is there anyone who can help me. The same happened to my mother in the 1950s

Terry Parker JrMarch 19th, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Tell you the truth, all of this Nuremberg Code violations demand political intervention, with a full criminal investigation, inquiry, and amendment to the statute of limitations act, for unwitting subjects, of non-consensual human experimentation. Amazing how we have protection for every concept of life, except human guinea-pigs. This is a disgrace, that defenseless children, and adults, are exploited for various Nuremberg Code violations, with no police officer to approach, lawyer, or governmental official. We literally have Dr. Frankenstein in charge of our government, with no accountability, transparency, or over-sight. Covert LSD, lobotomies, chemical research, and brain implant and transplant research demands government intervention, and justice for those whose lives have been destroyed, as a result of a inhumane and sadistic medical profession. Next time you vote, make sure your Candidate has a conscience on this hidden holocaust in North America.

Julie Tanny GoldMarch 19th, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Carolyn,
Please read my post. We are forming a lawsuit. Come to our page and we will add you.
please go to FACEBOOK and put in the name SAAGA – Survivors Allied Against Government Abuse.
We will help you.
JUlie

elizabeth abbottJune 14th, 2018 at 9:28 am

Very interested in this subject. I don’t use Facebook; my email will be available I think if I fill in the section below; hope to hear from anyone involved in this research.