Update: The trial began May 14 in St. Louis, but was settled out of court. The settlement agreement is confidential.

The man involved in this case, Raymond Chiodini, is now suing the hospital and doctor involved in his electroshock.

His lawyer told me that the case began when Chiodini was suffering from depression, and wanted ECT. The hospital gave it to him on an outpatient basis, then released him.

The result follows in the St. Louis Post Dispatch story.

This trial is scheduled to begin mid-May (2001) and I'll add reports as they come in.

Man, 47, is innocent of shooting at estranged wife, police officer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
October 3, 1998

Raymond Chiodini smiled and hugged his lawyer after a jury acquitted him Friday of assaulting his estranged wife and a St. Louis police officer by shooting at them as they sat in the officer's police car.

Jurors in St. Louis Circuit Court also found Chiodini, a former Internal Revenue Service agent, not guilty of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon.

Chiodini's lawyer told jurors that at the time of the shooting, Chiodini, 47, suffered from diminished mental capacity. As a result, he lacked the capability of having the intent necessary to make him guilty, defense lawyer Paul D'Agrosa said.

Susan Chiodini, who is now Chiodini's ex-wife, was visibly upset as she left the courtroom.

The shooting happened on the night of Jan. 31, 1996, after police officer Mark Colombo got a call about a domestic disturbance in the 4900 block of Reber Place. He found Susan Chiodini outside her estranged husband's house. She told Colombo she had custody of their two children, but that Raymond Chiodini had refused to answer the door when she came to get them.

Colombo intervened, but Raymond Chiodini allegedly cursed the officer. Moments later, police said, Chiodini shot at the officer's car, which was occupied by Colombo and Susan Chiodini. She was unhurt, but the officer was wounded slightly when a bullet hit him in the knee.

Another officer arrested Chiodini minutes later as he ran through a yard about a block from the house.

At the trial this week, D'Agrosa said Chiodini had been under treatment for depression and had undergone electroshock therapy earlier that day. Two psychiatrists and two psychologists testified that at the time of the shootings, Chiodini lacked the mental intent needed to commit the crime.

Chiodini lost his job with the IRS and is still disabled, his lawyer said. Chiodini reached a settlement earlier with Colombo in the civil suit filed by the officer.